! Warning: this post hasn't been updated in over three years and so may contain out of date information.
Stage 1: Install IIS
By default, IIS is not installed on Vista. To install it, follow the following steps:
- Open the control panel. Go to Programs > Turn Windows features on or off (just below Programs and Features)
- Expand Internet Information Services > Web Management Tools
- Select IIS Management Console
- Expand World Wide Services > Application Development Features
- Select CGI
- Expand World Wide Services > Common Http Features
- Select Default Document and Static Content
- Click OK and wait a few minutes. IIS will then be installed.
Once Vista has finished installing IIS, follow the following steps:
- Right click on the Vista logo on the start bar and select properties
- Make sure the Start Menu tab is selected and click on “Customize…”
- Scroll down to the bottom and ensure that system administrative tools are displayed (I’ll assume you have selected the second option “Display on All Programs menu and Start menu” in the next section.