! Warning: this post hasn't been updated in over three years and so may contain out of date information.I have recently installed the Windows 7 beta on a VM on my Vista box using Sun’s xVM VirtualBox. I had just two issues: no network driver and the Guest Additions reported they weren’t compatible with Windows 7. The solution to both was:
- Mount the Guest Additions CD
- Choose the “Open folder to view files” option when it auto-starts
- Right click on VBoxWindowsAdditions and VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86. Select properties and enable XP SP2 compatibility (Vista compatibility might work, I just didn’t test it).
- Run VBoxWindowsAdditions.
- Now right click on Computer in the start menu and select properties, then device manager.
- Select the Ethernet controller under Other Devices, right click and select Update Driver Software.
- Choose the Browse my Computer option and search in D:\. Install the driver.
After restarting Windows 7, automatic mouse capture and release worked correctly and the network sprang into life.