The project was called “Project FlaXe”, for haXe’s creator (Nicolas Cannasse) pronounces haXe as “hex”, thus FlaXe would be pronounced “Flex”. Sadly it was a joke that almost no one got. Far more people worried that FlaXe implied it would be flakey. This taught me an important lesson: don’t suggest a joke name for something, as many people will worry more about the name than the viability of the project!
I spent some time during late November and through into December experimenting with haXe and existing AS3 to haXe converters as the obvious start point to the project. Here I learned another important lesson: rudely barging in on an existing language community, criticising many of its features and demanding changes to make it better for a large project like Flex, does not win one friends! I won’t go into details, but there are aspects of haXe that cause big problems for a Flex port. The upshot of this was that by Christmas, I’d lost all enthusiasm for using haXe as a replacement to AS3.
So to that end, I intend putting my “Future of Flex” efforts into Apache Flex and so Project FlaXe has shuffled off this mortal coil…